Design & Technology - Curriculum Intent
At Woodley CofE Primary School, we aim to foster the following characteristics in our pupils during Design & Technology lessons:
- Significant levels of originality and the willingness to take creative risks to produce innovative ideas and prototypes.
- An excellent attitude to learning and independent working.
- The ability to use time efficiently and work constructively and productively with others.
- The ability to carry out thorough research, show initiative and ask questions to develop an exceptionally detailed knowledge of users’ needs.
- The ability to act as responsible designers and makers, working ethically, using finite materials carefully and working safely.
- A thorough knowledge of which tools, equipment and materials to use to make their products.
- The ability to apply mathematical knowledge.
- The ability to manage risks exceptionally well to manufacture products safely and hygienically.
- A passion for the subject and knowledge of, up-to-date technological innovations in materials, products and systems.
Expected Opportunities - National Curriculum
Design & Technology - Threshold Concepts
|To Master Practical Skills||To Design, make, Evaluate & Improve||
To Take Inspiration from Design Throughout History
|This concept involves developing the skills needed to make high quality products||This concept involves developing the process of design thinking and seeing design as a process.||
This concept involves appreciating the design process that has influenced the products we use in everyday life.
Design & Technology - Curriculum Progression
Please take some time to look at the Knowledge and Skills that your child will be taught from YR - Y6 during Design & Technology sessions.
Milestone 0 is for the 4 - 5 year old children in our Reception Classes (EYFS)
Milestone 1 is for the 5 - 7 year old children in Y1 & Y2 Classes (KS1)
Milestone 2 is for the 7 - 9 year old children in Y3 & Y4 Classes (LKS2)
Milestone 3 is for the 9 - 11 year old children in Y5 & Y6 Classes (UKS2)