Geography - Curriculum Intent
At Woodley CofE Primary School, we aim to foster the following characteristics in our pupils during Geography lessons:
- An excellent knowledge of where places are and what they are like.
- An excellent understanding of the ways in which places are interdependent and interconnected and how much human and physical environments are interrelated.
- An extensive base of geographical knowledge and vocabulary.
- Fluency in complex, geographical enquiry and the ability to apply questioning skills and use effective analytical and presentational techniques.
- The ability to reach clear conclusions and develop a reasoned argument to explain findings.
- Significant levels of originality, imagination or creativity as shown in interpretations and representations of the subject matter.
- Highly developed and frequently utilised fieldwork and other geographical skills and techniques.
- A passion for and commitment to the subject, and a real sense of curiosity to find out about the world and the people who live there.
- The ability to express well-balanced opinions, rooted in very good knowledge and understanding about current and contemporary issues in society and the environment.
Expected Opportunities - National Curriculum
Geography - Threshold Concepts
This concept involves understanding the geographical location of places and their physical and human features.
This concept involves understanding the relationships between the physical features of places and the human activity within them, and the appreciation of how the world’s natural resources are used and transported.
This concept involves understanding geographical representations, vocabulary and techniques.
Geography Curriculum Progression
Please take some time to look at the Knowledge and Skills that your child will be taught from YR - Y6 during Geography sessions.
Milestone 0 is for the 4 - 5 year old children in our Reception Classes (EYFS)
Milestone 1 is for the 5 - 7 year old children in Y1 & Y2 Classes (KS1)
Milestone 2 is for the 7 - 9 year old children in Y3 & Y4 Classes (LKS2)
Milestone 3 is for the 9 - 11 year old children in Y5 & Y6 Classes (UKS2)